GOption & friends

Hello people,

I've been trying to get GOption and friends working - but it seems
we're not on friendly terms.

1) I defined a GOptionEntry as:

{"debug", 'd', 0, G_OPTION_ARG_STRING, &dbg, "Debug options", "opts"},

and find that
  -d e       works
  --debug e
  --debug=e  work correctly

  -de        gives "option parsing failed: Missing argument for -d"

The form (-de), frequently used, fails though it is advertised
in the Command line parser description:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-Commandline-option-parser.html#g-option-context-add-main-entries

why?

2) The above entry should have a list of the actual debug options,
but I haven't found a practical way to add them to the help text.
I'd like to add options like:

  p: debug printing
  l: debug logging

Actually, I've extended the "Debug options" string with \n's and
looong string, but there should be a more practical way... is there?

3) The reason I wanted to migrate to GOption, is that it seems
gnome_program_init doesn't eliminate the recognized default arguments
such as --g-fatal-warnings, if added. So, in gdb, a run
--g-fatal-warnings produces an error in getopt.

I've looked through numerous pages - can anyone point to an app that
actually uses GOption for more than a minimal options set?

Thanks,
John