Re: no joy...

On 12/22/2011 01:58 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
      i am reallty not doing anything that arcane.  the nutshell
      of it is that in

      "while (!done loop)"

      gvim [ or another editor that can use abbreviations ]
      creates a series of text files.  1 to some N.  what it
      written to  each file is then read aloud via espeak -f;
      this application is an attempt to help those who are speech
      impaired or mute and have a small laptop.  i have been
      smallish gadgets that lack a keyboard.

Okay that explains things a little bit better.  Why are you involving a
text editor like gvim or kate?

Shouldn't you just either write the text you want to speak to a file and
the espeak that?  Or use a pipe to send espeak text?  Or maybe use some
kind of speaking api (maybe espeak has an api)?

If I wanted to espeak something I would use fopen to write the text to a
temporary file, then spawn espeak -f to read that.  Or most probably I'd
use popen() and send espeak the text through a pipe.  That's more basic
Linux programming than GTK programming of course.

      my app is not targeted at people who would use the device
      that has a touchscreen [plus hard drive + batteries].  I'
      tried one of these things in 2003 and a later model in '09.
      my disability is fairly pronounced, but i could barely lift
      this box.  i believe you could even play games on it.
      for me, the screen was not that easy to press.  i prefer an
      actual keyboard.

      if i'm talking to people or a person i am hard to understand
      without a few weeks of getting used to my speech patterns;

Well you are understandable now in e-mail, and what you are trying to do
is becoming more clear.

      with a shell script that i put together in 20 minutes, i
      could type onto my EEE-900A and the computer would be my
      voice.  i have been in touch with the people who are
      developing the "$100 laptop" that is being used globally.
      they said: sure, create a gui app that can be used by the
      physically disabled or deaf.

Okay so you are trying to come up with a graphical program whereby you
can type something (say in a text box) and have espeak speak it so that
others can hear and understand you?  Do I have this right?

      this morning, i got gvim to spawn a Konsole; espeak  echos
      what i typed.  but while the display button (with other
      buttons) can find something i typed earlier, there is no
      way to close the display window.  i need some means  of
      putting buttons on the display window.

Hmm.  Maybe you should post your code so that others can see what it
does so far.

      in my 11.10 ubunto, the makefile for one zetcode did not
      build the top menu bar.  the two buttons below were there.
      either i'm missing some gtk package, or something else is
      broken.  [?]

I'm not familiar with zetcode.