Question on touchscreen devices

Hello all,

I'm tinkering with the idea of writing a GTK+ app targeted at an
industrial touchscreen all-in-one device (like this one:
http://www.faytech.com/product_show.php?id=52). But I first would like
to write the app to see if works on a "conventional" PC (with mouse)
and then port it to the touchscreen device. My questions:

1) Is there (from the application's point of view) any difference
between a (left) mouse click and a tap on the screen? That's actually
the only action I need -- no dragging, no right or middle mouse
buttons.

2) I will do the developing on a Linux box, but the app may end up on
a Windows device (this depends on what my employer will ultimately
buy). Is the touchscreen handling on Windows different than that on
X-Windows?

Thanks,
robert