gtk_table_attach()

Using gtk_table_atttach() I can attach widgets to a table.  Suppose the table is in a dialog box.  I hide the
dialog but next time I display it, I want some other widget to occupy the same space.  There doesn't seem to
be a 'gtk_table_detach()' function - so:-

1)  Is there some other way to remove a widget from the table?

and / or

2)  If I attach a new widget in the same place as the previous one, will this work (i.e. will it replace the
previous widget) or is this just asking for trouble?

John