Re: libgdk_pixbuf, VC++ and TIFF files.

On 30 Nov 2010, at 15:57, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

I guess the newest libtiff in
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/dependencies/ would be
the one last known to work.

But actually, it probably won't work for you, if it is a FILE pointer
that is passed to libtiff, because your gdk-pixbuf, if compiled with a
recent VC++, will use a different C library than that which that
MinGW-compiled libtiff uses, and thus its file descriptors will be
indexes into a totally different table of open files.

Yes, I think that's essentially the same problem that I've already got.  I'll see if I can find some recent
source code for libTIFF tomorrow, so I can tell whether or not the issue is specific to FreeImage's version
of LibTIFF or if it's a general problem.  In the meantime, I've already ascertained that removing the call to
ReadFile() and simply replacing it with a corresponding call to _read() seems to fix the problem.  No doubt
there'll be other file system calls that need to be similarly replaced, of course.

I guess I also should wonder why you don't use the GDI+-based loaders
for the common image formats

It's only that ideally, I'd like cross-platform compatibility (i.e. the same source code for all platforms).

Thanks Tor,

John