Re: Anyone for CMake?

On 26 Jun 2010, at 19:17, John Coppens wrote:

Did you read this article? It seems to sum up the issue quite nicely:

http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/

The discussions are interesting too.

Thanks John. That article is definitely an interesting read and I'm glad you recommended it.  I was
particularly interested in the comments about scons.  A lot of projects seem to be dropping scons lately.
The favoured replacements seem to be cmake or waf.  I know it's always dangerous to dump a well trusted
component in favour of something newer but it seems as if lots of people are starting to look upon autotools
as being no longer "fit for purpose" (although I suppose that depends on your definition of "purpose").

I only know that the presence of MSVC projects in glib and gtk is a godsend for anyone who wants to build
using that compiler. So if MSVC compatibility is one of a project's aims, there seems to be very little sense
in sticking to a build system which doesn't support it.  OTOH has anyone heard any negative feedback about
cmake? (e.g. projects that converted to it and ended up regretting it?)

John