Anyone for CMake?

A couple of weeks ago I started on a build of glib/gtk+ using MSVC++.  I haven't been able to devote masses
of time to it but the small amount that I've done so far was refreshingly pain-free - thanks mostly to the
presence of ".vcproj" files for me to work with.

Sadly, the supporting libraries don't seem to be as comprehensive.  Pango, Cairo, ATK etc seem to come only
with makefiles, from what I can tell. ;(  I guess there's a (slim) chance they'll work with Microsoft's Nmake
but Nmake isn't noted for such flexibility and I assume that whatever comes with the above libs is primarily
intended for Autoconf / Automake etc.

I just wondered if there's ever been any discussion in the *nix community about moving away from
Autoconf/Automake in favour of CMake?  I guess this topic must have come up several times already, so what
were considered to be the pros and cons?  At first glance, CMake seems to be a lot more modern and certainly
a lot friendlier towards the other major platforms, as well as *nix.

John