Re: cygwin gtk+ eclipse on windows Gtk-WARNING cannot open display

Hello, i installed cygwin, gtk+(available with cygwin) and eclipse on Windows xp.
 "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"

Are you aware that the GTK+ for Cygwin is built with the X11 backend,
i.e. software that uses it requires an X server (also know as
"display")? (Either running on the same machine, or remotely.) (Also
note that Cygwin is really a separate Unix-style operating system that
just happens to run on top of Windows.)

Is that really what you want? If not, forget GTK+ on Cygwin and just
use GTK+ on Windows instead. Be very careful not to confuse and mix
Cygwin libraries and Windows libraries when building something.

Is the Eclipse you are using also a Cygwin one?

If your intention is not to build software that runs on Cygwin and
requires an X display, I would suggest you avoid Cygwin completely.

Instead just install the MinGW compiler, and use that from Eclipse.
For GTK+ on Windows, the simplest is to download the "bundle" from
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html and then run pkg-config to
get the appropriate compiler flags to pass the compiler from Eclipse.
I can't help you more with that, I don't use Eclipse.

In fact, I would suggest that you first learn how to build GTK+
software directly from the command line without letting Eclipse hide
what is really happening... but this is just my personal opinion. As a
command-line environment I then suggest using MSYS and its bash shell.

MinGW and MSYS are available from www.mingw.org.

--tml