cygwin gtk+ eclipse on windows Gtk-WARNING cannot open display

Hello, i installed cygwin, gtk+(available with cygwin) and eclipse on Windows
xp.

I'm trying to run a simple gtk+ application available on the site
www.gtk.org .

I have been able to compile my gtk+ program using Eclipse without errors but
when I run it the console says "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:" and
hence my application does not display.

Thanks very much,
Loredana    :D