Re: how to tell if a widget is still "alive" ?

On 06/17/2010 03:38 PM, David NeÄas wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:07:46AM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:

Hi all,

I have an application where I'm making use of animated gifs on a GtkTextBuffer.
I set a timer (g_timeout_add()) to remove the animated character after a small
period of time (10 secs in this case).

The argument to the timer callback includes a pointer to the text buffer
GtkTextChildAnchor in front of where I inserted my animation. The idea is that
inside the timeout, I insert a static copy of the gif, and do a
gtk_text_buffer_delete() of the iter's before and after the animation.

This works about 99.999% of the time.

In some rare circumstances, by the time that the timer callback is called, the
GtkTextChildAnchor has been deleted.

To guard against this, I tested the GtkTextChildAnchor with
GTK_IS_TEXT_CHILD_ANCHOR(), but on occassion, I will get a segfault on the
GTK_IS_TEXT_CHILD_ANCHOR() (the address of the GtkTextChildAnchor is still a
valid address).

I'm thinking that the GtkTextChildAnchor has been deleted, the memory used for
something else, and the GTK_IS_TEXT_CHILD_ANCHOR() is seg faulting as a result.

Question: how might I avoid this seg fault situation ? Will "GTK_IS_WIDGET()"
help to determine if the GtkTextChildAnchor is still alive before testing it
with GTK_IS_TEXT_CHILD_ANCHOR() ? or is there a better way of doing this ?

The standard rule is: if you permanently use an object take a reference
with g_object_ref().  Then it can't be finalized unless you release
the reference.

<slaps head>

ah, yes! of course!

In my earlier days of gtk+ usage I didn't understand the significance of the
ref. I do now (and have for some time), but somehow missed this obvious soln!

Thanks a lot!

- -Greg

See also the description of gtk_text_child_anchor_get_deleted().

You can get notified when an object is finalized, but this is not a case
where you should do it.

Yeti

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler redhat com    |