Theme switching

I am trying to write a code to set a custom GTK theme for my program (should affect only my application).

The problem is that this sample code works fine on Windows, but not on Linux:

char *pszStyle = "gtk-theme-name = \"HighContrastInverse\"\nstyle \"custom\" {\nfont_name="Sans 10"\n} widget_class \"*\" style \"custom\"\n";
gtk_rc_parse_string(pszStyle);

Note that the theme exists on the test distro.

Is this officially supported ? Any tips ?
Should it work even after the application window was created ?