Re: Making a Python/GTK CheckMenuItem, when clicked, not close the menu

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 00:27 -0500, Freddie Unpenstein wrote:
One thing did occur to me, though. It's kind of annoying when you click
a check menu item, and the menu doesn't go away. And having some
that do, and some that don't, would probably drive me balmy.

My scenario, however, is a tray icon with a bunch of preferences for
network interfaces and I'd like it so that you go into the submenu for
the NIC and then tick a series of boxes to configure it. In this case
having the menu not disappear makes some sense IMO.

The question remains, how do you dispatch the menu when you've done your selecting.  In some enviroments, you
can't just click off the menu, because that click will land on whatever it was you clicked, and strange
things can happen.  This has been trouble for me when I've brought up a menu and changed my mind.  Let alone
a menu that intentionally doesn't close when you click on something.

On one machine I've used, the text part of a menu either did nothing, or activated some function.  Nothing
strange about the latter, except when it's also the lead item of a sub-menu, and to bring up the sub-menu,
you have to click the little arrow to the side.  Terribly bizarre.  One thing I *DID* like about their
system, though, was that clicking the space for the checkmark didn't close the menu, where clicking the text
attached to the checkmark USUALLY did (except when it did something different).

But that kind of thing has made me a little weary of menus that don't do what you expect them to, also.  One
alternative, if you DID go down that road, might be to colour the non-closing items differently, and have an
explicit "do nothing but close this" DONE item.  Still, dialog boxes make more sense, and probably play
better with assistance mechanisms.

Back to the original question; the "better" way, would probably be
to use a dialog box in this instance, to allow these options to be
changed without having to go back to the menu all the time.
Perhaps depending on usage, an Options menu item as well as
the individual options, which brings them up in a dialog for when
you need to change multiple options.
Dialog box looks the way forward. Maybe tabbed or something.

I take it you can have several sub-menu's with basically the same options.  Might be able to do something
with that.  At the simplest, have all the interfaces listed as tabs in a notebook, and pre-select the one
from the menu.  At the other end, perhaps a grid of toggle buttons so you can see how those options are set
across all the interfaces.  Also allows for an extra column to change a setting on all interfaces (as is
found in /proc).  Depends on what exactly you're doing, though. Just a thought.

One thing I do often wish, is that it was easier to share one notebook page between several tabs, or even
more, being able to multi-parent widgets (I suspect that would be a rather radical change, though.  ;) )

Fredderic

Want to lose weight? Click here for diet help and solutions.
Diet Help
http://tagline.excite.com/c?cp=33U4g1Jl0TtVObNdDx9AAQAAKZS4OohqXEN8zZrBVHP9bxeIAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQME6nvI=