Re: Making a Python/GTK CheckMenuItem, when clicked, not close the menu

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 00:27 -0500, Freddie Unpenstein wrote:
Using Python and PyGTK I've got a GtkMenu with various GtkCheckMenuItems
in it. When the user clicks one of the checkboxes the menu closes. I'd
like for the user to be able to check a series of checkboxes without the
menu closing each time.

I looked into this myself a while back, and gave up.  More important things to do, and so forth.

This seems to be my likely course of action too.

One thing did occur to me, though.  It's kind of annoying when you click a check menu item, and the menu
doesn't go away. And having some that do, and some that don't, would probably drive my balmy.

My scenario, however, is a tray icon with a bunch of preferences for
network interfaces and I'd like it so that you go into the submenu for
the NIC and then tick a series of boxes to configure it.  In this case
having the menu not disappear makes some sense IMO.

[...]
Back to the original question; the "better" way, would probably be to use a dialog box in this instance, to
allow these options to be changed without having to go back to the menu all the time.  Perhaps depending on
usage, an Options menu item as well as the individual options, which brings them up in a dialog for when
you need to change multiple options.

Dialog box looks the way forward.  Maybe tabbed or something.

Many thanks for your input,
David