From: Pierre Wieser <pwieser trychlos org>
To: gtk-app-devel-list  <gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Subject: Select root folder in GtkfileChooser
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:41:52 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

In Nautilus-Actions, I need to let my users select folders, including
root folder ('/').

In a GtkFileChooserDialog, there is obviously no way to select the
root
folder by clicking on it, because it has no parent.

But when I enter "/" in the location entry, and click on Open button,
I get the message:
"The folder could not be created
 Error creating directory: File exists."

Sample code to reproduce this is below:

      GtkWidget *dialog;
      gchar *path;

      dialog = gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new( _( "Select a folder" ),
                      NULL,
                      GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SELECT_FOLDER,
                      GTK_STOCK_CANCEL, GTK_RESPONSE_CANCEL,
                      GTK_STOCK_OPEN, GTK_RESPONSE_ACCEPT,
                      NULL );

      gtk_file_chooser_set_filename( GTK_FILE_CHOOSER( dialog ), "/" );

      if( gtk_dialog_run( GTK_DIALOG( dialog )) == GTK_RESPONSE_ACCEPT ){
              path = gtk_file_chooser_get_filename( GTK_FILE_CHOOSER( dialog ));
              g_debug( "nact_ifolders_tab_on_add_folder_clicked: path=%s", path
);
              g_free( path );
      }

      gtk_widget_destroy( dialog );

Is this a bug (and so I should open it Bugzilla) ?
Or is there something missing in my code ?

Well, one cannot really wait for the user enter '//' or even '///' when
he just wants '/'.

I must admit that I hoped that my code was not right...

I am going to wait one or two days to see if one of Gtk maintainers has
an opinion about this issue. And I'll open this in Bugzilla.

Regards
Pierre