Re: g_locale_to_utf8 on current MS Windows

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

I've had a problem report from a user of my GTK app on Windows 7,

You mean this is something new in Windows 7 (which I find hard to
believe), or has this particular user just not used your app on
earlier Windows versions?

I'll have to find out more, but the problem in question is one
that I believe I'd already solved, testing on XP.  I could be
wrong.

from which it looks as if g_locale_to_utf8 has somehow not done
the right thing on a Windows filename,

You mean a file name in the encoding the C library uses, or the
encoding GLib and the GTK+ stack uses? GLib and GTK+ use UTF-8 for
file names on Windows in their API; all GLib and GTK+ API that accept
/ return file names (or other strings to / from the system like
environment variable names or values) accept / return them in UTF-8.

This was a file name obtained from Windows itself, not via the
GLib wrapper functions.  I'll look into it further and report back
if it wasn't just a stupid mistake on my part.

Allin Cottrell