g_locale_to_utf8 on current MS Windows

I've had a problem report from a user of my GTK app on Windows 7,
from which it looks as if g_locale_to_utf8 has somehow not done
the right thing on a Windows filename, which was apparently in
some Unicode representation and not the old-style Windows
codepage.  This is in the context of writing a record of the
filename into an XML file, where it has to be UTF-8.

Any ideas on how to handle MS Windows' encoding-schizophrenia?
That is, finding out what the "locale" is really supposed to be.

Allin Cottrell