Accelerator

Are accelerators only for menu items? I've seen a lot of examples with accelerators and the all seem to connect to a menu item. I've been having a difficult time getting accelerators to work even with the examples. I think I'm missing something.

One thing I would like is to just have an accelerator execute a function or a callback. Maybe if I could just print "Hello World" to the terminal when pressing Alt-F4 would help prove the concept.

Can someone help?

Thanks,

dhk