Re: Popup window for alert

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:55:35 -0600
Jeffrey Barish <jeff_barish earthlink net> wrote:

I would like a popup window with a black line on its border in which I
can put a label to alert the user to a failure condition.  A Dialog
doesn't work because the appearance and disappearance of the window is
entirely under program control.  A WINDOW_POPUP doesn't work because it
lacks the black line on its border (even when I set decorate).  A
WINDOW_TOPLEVEL is almost right, but I would prefer that the destroy
button and the window menu button not appear -- not to mention the
title bar at the top.  Is there a way to make any of these things
disappear?

You can do everything with a normal window, Jeffrey. Look up the right
functions, but you can:

1) Make de decorations disappear, leaving a clean rectangle.
2) Put an image on the background, with the black border you want,
   making it fill the window entirely,
3) Put a label in the center of that window, and enter the text you
   wish to show.

You might want to search for the many examples of 'splash screens' with
GTK available on the 'net.

John