Re: Notification or applet?

Ali Abdallah wrote:
Sander Marechal wrote:
I am wondering how I should program this. I know about Gnome applets but
it's not really an applet (like Pidgin and Rhythmbox aren't applets but
full-blown applications). But I have read that the notification area
shouldn't be (ab)used for this either.

You have to use GtkStatusIcon here, in this way your application will
not depend on a specific platform.

Also, my application needs to show notification popups every now and
again.

You can use Libnotify to send notification to the daemon notification
server, Libnotify makes the notification easy, you could also with it
attach your notification to the status icon that you create.

Thanks for your advice. I have managed to make it work using
GTkStatusIcon and Pynotify. In case you're interested in the source:

http://svn.jejik.com/viewvc.cgi/jukebox/jukebox-gtk/trunk/

--
Sander Marechal