Full Screen mode behaves differently on two "identical" systems

Hey All,

I have 2 computers, both running Ubuntu 8.10 (kernel2.6.27-9-generic).  When
my gtkmm application goes to full screen mode, and the user brings up any
modal dialog (which is a child of the application main window), on one
system everything looks fine.  On the other, I get the System menu
(Applications Places System) appearing instead of the application menu.
When the dialog closes, the Application menu comes back.  This is somewhat
disconcerting to my users *grin*.

Clearly, the systems are different somehow, but I'm at a loss as to exactly
where and why it would make a difference.  I have multiple examples of each
behavior.  So far, it seems that older PCs and newer netbooks have the bad
behavior, while my development laptops and some newer desktop PCs work
flawlessly.

The same bad/good behavior happened when all my machines were running Ubuntu
8.04 with multiple kernels.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--