Re: g_malloc overhead

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Martín Vales <martin opengeomap org> wrote:

Other overhead i see is the open dir/file funtions, where in windows we need
do the utf8 to utf16 everytime in windows. If JAVA,.NET and Qt use utf16 by
default why in gnome world we use utf8 by default?.

Historically, Unix was a late adopter of Unicode.  And crucially, the
Unicode designers originally thought 16 bits would be enough.  So Java
was explicitly designed around Unicode and specifically UTF-16, and
Windows was a relatively early adopter.  Only later did it became
clear that more code point space was needed, and also that UTF-8
specifically had a number of advantages.

Strings and encodings are actually a pretty interesting subject I
think, and for any programmer it's worth taking some time to read
available material on the web at least.