Re: Question about Callback

Hi,
thanks again for your help.
1) I did change my function to a static one
2) I updated my g_signal_connect_swapped to use G_CALLBACK(staticfunc) + param parent (which I use to get the other buttons) 3) I noticed that the pointers were in wrong order (parent was the first one instead of second) - changed to g_signal_connect instead and order is right. I now can use my function as desired. I only have to integrate some other fields, but I think I'll get that ready with the knowledge I received here.

Many thanks!
Christoph Hartwig

James Scott Jr schrieb:
Rudolfo,

In your case where you have multiple buttons operating on the same
logical data field, using a single callback function is very practical.

The same can be said for a callback that performs a single logical
function, all windows/object should attempt to reuse that callback if
they need that functions.
Example; being a pair of callback I wrote that is called when a window
is hidden or shown.  All my dialogs/windows that need that service reuse
those single callbacks. To handle the fact that each window instance
saves its visibility value in a different variable/address, I pass into
the g_signal_connect(..., &b_visible) the address of that variable when
creating each window.

void cb_main_interface_show (GtkWidget * widget, gboolean *pb_visible)
{
  g_return_if_fail (pb_visible != NULL);
  *pb_visible = TRUE;
}
void cb_main_interface_hide (GtkWidget * widget, gboolean *pb_visible)
{
  g_return_if_fail (pb_visible != NULL);
  *pb_visible = FALSE;
}

To me this helps organize the code and makes it easier to maintain.  The
cost of this reuse is fairly low, and the g_object_[set|get]_data()
along with user-data cb_id flags, normally handles it well.  Of course
all this reuse can be impacted by the to many global/static variables --
which limits the re-entrancy or reuse  of any program.

My two.

James,