best way to display small images which can change up to 10 times per second

Hello,

in my application I use the GTK Stock Images   GTK_STOCK_YES and GTK_STOCK_NO
to represent several states of a target hardware my program is communicating with.

I used the stock images because it were very easy to handle.

But the Stock Images can lock different and now I want to change to self-made images.
What is the best way to display small images which can change up to 10 times per second?

At the moment there are only two states, i want to display, e.g. a red and a green light.

Best regards
  Arne