Read-only controls

Hi,

Is there a standard Gtk way of defining controls as read-only at runtime ?

In my user interface, I have entries, radio and toggle buttons, and
a combo list ; I would set them as read-only when the current item
cannot be updated for a reason or another.

For now, I set all these controls as insensitive, but there is a real
semantic difference between "a field is not available - doesn't make
sense here" and "a field cannot be modified", and I'd wish my UI
reflects this difference.

What should I do for that ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards