Re: GtkGLExt (was Re: Gtk 3.0)

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
(Sorry, I'm sending this via my phone so it's not going to be nicely
formatted; I apologize)

I'm really not working on it - mainly for three reasons: 1) if you want to
use GL, GtkGlExt is "good enough" and integrating it into gtk+ it's not a
good idea; 2) cairo should get GPU acceleration for 2D drawing, which is
what most of users really care about; 3) if you want a 3D canvas you should
be using Clutter.

If you want to do ACTUAL 3D rendering your choises are OpenGL and OpenGL,
Clutter doesn't come anywhere near it.
It's true that the API is getting better in 3.0+ but you can still do
the same with 2.0+.
Also it's a matter of personal taste.
At the dawn of time John Carmack chose OpenGL and urged all GPU
vendors to make OpenGL drivers
because of the horrible DirectX API.
Of course DirectX has come a long way since, but if you want any form
of cross-platform support
your only choice is still OpenGL.

Integrating raw GL inside a gtk+ application is a niche requirement enough
that I'm not at all sure it should be moved to gtk+ itself. And if you're
dropping into raw GL there is no way you are not a niche use case.

It may be niche as in not many apps use it, but that hardly makes it
any less important.
When companies like Autodesk ports ther many many $$$ apps
to Linux they don't have the choice of using GTK+
As far  as I can tell GTK+ is the only widget API on any PC platform
that doesn't have an OpenGL widget/view.
Not being able to use advanced 3D visualizations in modern day apps
seems rather odd IMNSHO.

Regards
Jacob Kolding

On 4 Dec 2009 18:13, "Carlos Pereira" <jose carlos pereira ist utl pt>