Re: Outdated dependencies at ftp.gnome.org

Tor Lillqvist schrieb:

(Repackaging that then from RPMs to ZIP files like the ones currently
on ftp.gnome.org could be mostly trivially automated, and will be done
soonish I think.)

I would appreciate this :-)

Many thanks for the quick package update anyway :-)

There seams to be no reliable source for third party libraries, GTK+
depends on, which is compatible with GTK+. With reliable I mean: have
(at least nearly) up-to-date versions esp. if security fixes are published.

As soon as there is a business case (somebody willing to pay for it),
I am sure there will be companies offering such with some service
level guarantee...

I agree. But we have a hen and egg problem here: To get a business case,
you need (business relevant) projects using GTK, which requires
developers using GTK, who only wnat to use GTK if they get updates.

So for me, I'm "sponsoring" Tryton ERP in my spare time to attract more
developers to Tryton. If setting up a development environment is hard
(as it is currently for Windows), this is putting off developers, Tryton
will not become a business case and thus the business case "GTK package
update" loosing a chance.

From some other perspective: Is there a business case for "GTK" at all?

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne:
<http://www.all-about-security.de/kolumnen/cissp-gefluester/>

Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei <http://www.7-it.de>