Re: How to tell the difference between a minimize and a switch desktop?

From: "Rorschach" , 28/10/2008:

I discovered exactly the same odd behavior like you did: http://rorschachstagebuch.wordpress.com/..... !
changed_mask always gets the value GDK_WINDOW_STATE_ICONIFIED when switching the desktop.
I also asked here but nobody answered me... Did really noone ever code a trayicon which minimzed to tray?
If you come up with any workaround or just an idea please tell me!

That's perfectly normal behaviour.  There are three ways to manage multiple workspaces;

1) Use multiple X servers, and use Alt-F# to switch between them.  No dragging or moving applications between
workspaces without some heavy lifting under the hood (xmove can do that, I believe).

2) Make one really huge screen and scroll around it.  I used to use that mode a lot about 10 years ago, but
some programs go and open their windows at screen size, rather than display size, so you end up with an
application window that you have to scroll around to see it all (a 3200x1200 window on an 800x600 monitor is
somewhat annoying).  I suspect this is the main reason WMs don't do it that way any more, though it was handy
to be able to open a window on whichever workspace you wanted just by adding the display dimensions to the
geometry specification.

3) Unmap any windows that aren't on the "current workspace".  This is the normal method, and the behaviour
you are observing.  It also makes it really easy to have a window be on multiple workspaces simultaneously.

Fredderic

Identity Theft Protection
Is your identity at risk? Click here for reliable identity theft protection.
http://tagline.excite.com/fc/JkJQPTgKVskeOB3uEa3NgD48lYJUUM0C8kqpRBZIrq7GhOkQP5tyv5/