Re: Creating a non-focused window

On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:26:15 -0700 Tom Machinski wrote:

Hi,

I wrote a simple GTK+ application that displays a popup window.

The problem is that whenever the window is displayed, it immediately
gets ("steals") the focus. I would like to prevent that from
happening: i.e., the window should be created and displayed, but it
should not be focused, but instead focus should be retained by
whatever window had it before the creation of the new window.

The only way I know to do that is by calling
window.set_accept_focus(False) before window.show(). The serious flaw
with that method is that the resulting window, while being prevented
from stealing the focus, also can not receive focus at any later
time, even by intentional user action.

gtk_window_set_focus_on_map() (or presumably
window.set_focus_on_map(False) in... whatever langauges you're using).

        -brian