GtkTextView tags and insertion at begin/end

Hello,

I have a GtkTextView that I am using in my app - the contents of it are setup from text and style runs that I convert into the necessary tags corresponding to the tags - all works as expected.

The only problem I am experiencing is that when text is inserted (by typing or pasting) either at the beginning or end of the text in the view it seems to get just default styling. For example text typed in before the first character does not get the same styling as the first existing character in the buffer (as I would expect it to).

Any pointers on how to setup the tags for the text view so that text typed at the beginning or end get styled to correspond to the existing text?

thanks,
steve