ICCCM protocol and selection-request-events without paste

I'm working on a secure selection manager based on glipper. What it
needs to be able to do is intervene and make a security determination
when a paste is requested. 'glipper' currently monitors clipboard
ownership changes at which time is gets the clipboard contents. I've
modified glipper to become the selection owner after it get the
clipboard contents and connected a 'selection-request-event' handler
to process pastes. The problem is there are selection-request-events
occurring that don't appear to be related to pastes that start coming
in as soon as glipper claims the selection ownership and I don't
understand because this doesn't follow the ICCCM selection protocol.
Can anyone help shed light on what's going on here?