Re: OpenGL, GtkGlArea, GtkGLExt

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 09:35:46 Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 19:37 +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
No, gtkglarea is dead.

GlArea still has many users and is the defacto standard for some
languages.

it may have many users, but it's unmaintained, so it is ipso facto
"dead".

Yes. Nobody has added FSAA support to GlArea AFAIK.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as "we" but many people need little
beyond GlArea. I have no desire to create Gtk-compatible widgets. I only
want to render general graphics quickly and easily using OpenGL.

on the bug linked in the thread, and in many gtk+ developers team
meetings it was reached a consensus for an integration towards a
cairo-style approach: inside the ::expose-event handlers you can
retrieve a GL context, draw on it using the GL API and the result will
be rendered on the widget's window.

that's what "we" means.

I see. Thank you.

If anyone is interested in improving the situation for scientists and
engineers then I would recommend taking this into account: keep it simple
to bind.

you can't really get much simpler than a:

  GLXContext gl_context;

  gl_context = gdk_glx_create_context (GDK_DRAWABLE (widget->window));

How would I provide parameters for the GL context (e.g. multisample)?