Re: gnome-config not found

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:

В Сбт, 12/07/2008 в 14:34 -0600, Nitin Jain пишет:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:

В Птн, 11/07/2008 в 11:04 -0600, Nitin Jain пишет:
Hi!
I'm a newbie on this forum as well as to the world of GTK, so
apologies for any mistakes in prior.
I'm trying to install an old application (from source) that uses GTK
and GNOME graphical toolkits - however, while running the configure
script, I get a
"configure: error: Program gnome-config not found".
Browsing uptil now has yielded the info that `gnome-config' used to be
a part of `pkg-config' but was axed... so, I am not sure if merely
changing the configure script (replacing `gnome-config' with
`'pkg-config') would help? As such, I have installed the gtk-devel,
libgnomeui packages (and am on SuSE 10.2).

You probably need to install GNOME 1.4 desktop from a compatibility
repository:

ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/GNOME1/openSUSE_10.2/i586

for gnome-config you need to install the package

gnome-libs-devel

Also, in case it's not easy to override the dependancy on
gnome-config, then can you please tell me some alternative(s)? How
easy would it be, for a newbie, to port the API that makes use of the
newer *stuff* ?

Well, it's quite a complicated work. What exact program are you talking
about, probably we can help to port it to GNOME2 quickly.

Hi!
Many thanks for your prompt response.
The app I am trying to port is basically a software oscilloscope
library `gscope' that was written way back in 2001 - here's the link:
http://gscope.sourceforge.net/

As of now, I just (blatantly) substituted gnome-config (and
GNOME_CONFIG) with pkg-config (and PKG_CONFIG) throughout the
configure script, which gives the following:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
Package gnomeui was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnomeui.pc'
No package 'gnomeui' found
Package gnomeui was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnomeui.pc'
No package 'gnomeui' found

So, as per the advice on this link:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2005-July/011663.html
I changed
gnomeui to libgnomeui-2.0
in the configure script again.
This seemed to work, with the above 'No package' warnings vanished....
however, doing `make' is still unsuccessful and gives this error:
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status gscopeconfig.h
Usage: ./config.status [--recheck] [--version] [--help]
make: *** [stamp-h1] Error 1

Could you please throw some light what should I try, now?

Thanks again!

Oh, I'd better drop this project completely and created something based
on gstreamer like existing libvisual plugins:

http://libvisual.sourceforge.net/

Hi!
Thanks for your reply again. I'd a look at both gstreamer and the link
above... unfortunately, they seem to be too generic - my application
intends to provide just an oscilloscope environment, with a file-based
input. Resurrecting 'gscope' would be a large & challenging (for a
newbie) task too... but I think it should be worth the effort!?

Regards,
Nitin