How do I make a gtk2+ application "swallowable"?

Can someone please tell me how to make an application
run in "withdrawn" or "swallowable" mode so that it
can appear in the dock of certain window managers. I
have checked the gtk FAQ and the gtk Reference Guide
but have found no clear guidance, so have had to fall
back on guesswork.

I tried using gtk_window_set_decorated to remove the
window frame and gtk_window_set_type_hint to set the
window type to GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DOCK, but the
window still appears on the regular desktop.

What more do I need to do?

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html