Re: Forking from Gtk

G Hasse wrote:
But I realy NEED to create a longlived process (running for a week or
month) and be able to quit the GUI whenever I like. The glib is
just a wrapper - and i don't se the solution...

I realy WANT to lose contact with the child process. And there
is to mutch data from the GUI to pass it on the command line...

IMHO, in this circumstance, you still shouldn't have the GUI start the
long-lived process. You'll probably want some other mechanism to
[re]start the process in the event something goes wrong whilst it's
running. So set up the starting mechanism as a cron job or server
watchdog process. Then the GUI can just write the appropriate parameters
to a database or file or socket as you wish and the starting mechanism
will do the rest. No threads or forks in the GUI.

Cheers, Dave