Re: Forking from Gtk

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM, G Hasse <gorhas raditex se> wrote:

Hello,

I have a small demo app. This works on FreeBSD but I can't
get to work on Linux. I know that in Linux setsid will fail
if the child has the same session_id as the parent. So on
Linux you must fork twice. But it also seems that the parent
must do an exit. And I don't want that. The code is not very
long - so I include it here.

I think you should avoid fork and use one of the functions glib provide to
spawn processes (
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-Spawning-Processes.html), or
a thread if you need to simply call a function.

In general using fork() in a GUI program is a bad idea.

--
Bye,
 Gabry