Re: Installing gtk on Windows XP

(Jeff, sorry; I posted directly to you first instead of to the ML.  Excuse
the dupe.)

Is there an installer that actually works on XP?  I have tried about half
dozen and all are missing some component.

So, you're writing an app and you want to point your users to a standard
runtime installer - am I following you correctly?

If so, then I'm not sure there is a one-size-fits-all option out there.
There are several third party installers like the ones you're mentioning,
but I don't know that there's any single really good one right now.

For example, the gtk 2.12 package available at SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=71914) produces the
following error when I try to use glade:> The application has failed to
start because libglade-2.0-0.dll was not
found.

In fact, libglade-2.0-0.dll is not on my system.

Glade is not a standard component of GTK, but rather an optional thing
that many people like to use.  Personally I don't use Glade at all.  This
is not a fault of the installer.

So then I install glade/gtk from Sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=gladewin32&filename=gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe&use_mirror=internap)
which would seem to offer a complete package including glade.  Now I get

unable to load libpixbufloader-png.dll: /target/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders

This one does give you Glade and maybe some other stuff too.  But
obviously, it's being problematic (and I don't know why, sorry!).

I think the best way to handle things right now, if I remember what tml
said right, is to bundle things together yourself.  Maybe it's wasteful,
but it at least works.

If you want to give this a try, what you do is unzip an official GTK
distribution from gtk.org into your target folder.  This should create
some folders like bin, lib, etc, etc.  (Bad joke, yes. ;)  Pop your
executable into the bin folder and run it from there, and things should
work right.  As for figuring out which GTK files not to include, that
exercise is up to you.

-
Paul Goins
Author of J-Ben: http://www.vultaire.net/software/jben/