applet and tray in gnome

Forgot the subject line........

I originally sent this post to the gnome list but nobody replied. I'll
try my luck here this time, hopefully it's not too OT.

I'm using stalonetray http://stalonetray.sf.net/ as my system tray and
can't get the gnome battery charge monitor applet show up on it. I'm
also using nm-applet and that shows up all right. Actually stalonetray
claims to be freedesktop.org compliant so I thought the battery applet
would also work but so far I had no luck. After launching stalonetray
I launch /usr/libexec/battstat-applet-2 but the icon doesn't show up
on the tray.

What am I doing wrong?