Re: weird i18n problem on Windows XP Home

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Daniel Atallah wrote:

On Feb 8, 2008 10:10 AM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

I've received a strange problem report about the win32 version of
my GTK app running on XP Home in Spanish on an ACER 1691 laptop
(setlocale gives "Spanish_Spain.1252")...

I don't know if this is relevant to the problem you're seeing,
but the win32 port of GTK+ doesn't fully support non-ascii
window titles until 2.12.0.

I'm using 2.12.1 at present.

The other thing I can think of is that message in the Spanish
.po file may not be correctly encoded. I would expect msgfmt to
warn you if this is the case.

I'm pretty sure the .mo file is OK: it works alright on other
Windows systems.

One thing to add: some time ago I had a problem with very slow
operation of Pango on win98, and I added the invocation

putenv("PANGO_WIN32_NO_UNISCRIBE=a");

This is now out of date, since I'm using GTK 2.12 which doesn't
support win98 anyway.  I've now removed it and built a snapshot of
my program for the Spanish user to try, but this is a kinda slow
correspondence and I haven't heard yet if it makes a difference.
Might one expect it to?

Allin Cottrell