temporary gtkrc file parsing aka 'sub-themes'

Hey all,

I have an app that draws some windows in a special way, and I'm letting it be easily themed separately (rather, on top of) gtk's theming. I'm just using normal gtkrc files for the theming, and calling gtk_rc_parse() when the user changes the theme.

The problem is this: if the new theme selected doesn't override the same things as the previous theme (say, the font), then, after the new theme is applied, I see a mix of the old and new themes (new widget colors, for example, but with the old font).

Is there any way to make gtk "forget" it's parsed a particular rcfile and start from scratch parsing only the defaults? I've tried gtk_rc_reparse_all_for_settings(setings, TRUE) as well as gtk_rc_reset_styles(), but neither seem to help. I've also tried loading the file myself and using gtk_rc_parse_string() in the hopes that that's less 'persistent', but no luck.

Am I missing something, or just going about this the wrong way?

        -brian