Re: Theory of good signal/event API design?

Chris Vine wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 09:07 +0200, Sander Marechal wrote:
Andy Wingo wrote:
Consider writing to gstreamer-devel.

I wrote there too, but got no comments. The reason I posted to the GTK
lists as well is because GTK is also event/signal driven. I'm not
looking for anything GStreamer (or other technology) specific, but for
general information about event driven programming.

Well, it's event driven, but its all done in the main event loop.  It's
not really like a message bus system of the kind that I think you are
interested in.

Actually, I am not interested in the underlying technology at all. What
I am interested in is: When you write a signal/event driven program or a
widget or whatever, how do you figure out what signals to send out, so
other people can actually do something useful with it?

It's a purely theoretical software engineering question. So far I have
been adding events to my application whenever I needed them myself, but
I would like to have a nice, complete set of events so other people can
do useful things with them too.

I had hoped that the GTK community, having built so many widget and
event driven applications, would have some kind of guidelines, theory,
policy or just general good advice on that.

--
Sander Marechal