How to set background color for a pango layout being printed ?

I've tried to find out the answer to this question but I seem to be running in circles.

The code below has one liner to set foreground (font) color for the pango layout being printed.
How do I set the background color for the same plango layout ?

TIA,
 Miroslav Rajcic

layout = gtk_print_context_create_pango_layout (context);
pango_layout_set_text (layout, text, -1);

//set fg color
cairo_set_source_rgb (cr, color.red, color.green, color.blue);

//HOW to set bkg color for the layout?

cairo_move_to (cr, nPosX,  nPosY);
pango_cairo_show_layout (cr, layout);