Tool Side panels

Hi,
    I'm trying to add some side panels to an image manipulating
application; these panels contain some buttons and they should be
hidden when I no longer need them (no need for fancy sliding animation,
though): the larger the working area the best.
I temporarily implemented each panel with a frame holding the tool
widgets (through many other boxes); then the frames are held by a 3
slots hbox, 2 for the panes and one for the drawingarea; when I want to
hide a panel I just gtk_widget_hide() the frame.
This approach is a bit sloppy in that I don't know when the window
manager (BTW I'm developing a windows app) actually hides the widget,
so that I can only  get the new drawing area size in the expose-event
handler.
I don't like to have it done there, so I'm asking you: is there
another way to implement side panes? Or, is there another way to show
and hide them and have it done at a known time?
Thanks

Federico

ADSL 4 MB FLAT
La tua ADSL a â 19.95.
GRATIS 2 mesi di canone e l'attivazione!
Scopri come
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/prodotti/dem/tc/4flat/