Slow UI updates with GtkImage

Hi,

I'm working on an audio player application. I currently have two elements that change on a frequent basis: a GtkHScale and a GtkImage. Whenever I update the data, I call gtk_widget_queue_draw on the widget that changed. With just the slider updating every 200ms, it works fine. If I add the GtkImage changing (by swapping out the GdkPixbuf with gtk_image_pixbuf_set) or I call gtk_widget_queue_draw on the widget, the UI waits about 2.5s in between redraws on both the slider and the image. This event happens about every 186ms.

Is there something that I should be doing differently here? Is this method horribly inefficient? What should I change?

Thanks,
David Brigada