Re: Feedback on my Win32 GTK+ Experience

Thank you for your response. It is very helpful.

- Micah Carrick

 Developer - http://www.micahcarrick.com
 GTK+ Forums - http://www.gtkforums.com

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
1. libxml-2.0 from libxml2-2.6.30.win32.zip was missing the .pc file for pkg-config.

I guess libxml2-2.6.30.win32.zip is the one on
http://xmlsoft.org/sources/win32/ ? Please ask Igor Zlatkovic to
include also the .pc file in his packages.

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/dependencies/libxml2-dev-2.6.27.zip
(which is simply a slight repackaging by me of what Igor provides)
does include the .pc file.

I simply found this file in the sources elsewhere and copied
to C:\MinGW\lib\pkgconfig\libxml-2.0.pc. Is this normal?

Yes and no. If you have the rest of libxml2 under c:\mingw, then it is
the right thing to do.

My personal preference is not to mix stuff from different sources. I
keep only stuff from www.mingw.org in my mingw folder, and then I have
a separate folder for stuff from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net, for
instance, separate folders for things from GNOME SVN I have built
myself (one folder for the current "stable" branch of things, one for
the trunk, and one for each separate version of each package),
separate folders for GNU libraries I have built (and distribute Win32
binaries of) myself, etc.

2. zlib from zlib123-dll.zip had a couple of things. First, I had to
copy zlib1.dll to my bin/ directory. Secondly, the pkg-config files used
-lz as the linker flag, and thus I had to copy /lib/zdll.lib to
/lib/libz.a. The USAGE file said to rename zdll.lib to libzdll.a which I
ALSO did to ensure it works either way. Is this right? Why isn't it
libz.a already?

Ask the people who make that package. Please understand that the
distribution of Open Source software for Windows is not as tightly
organized and managed as the packages for typical Linux distros. Some
people do it one way, others another way.

As I understand it, I can simply write my installer the
same way I did back in my Windows programming days and deploy it with
the DLL files necessary [as round] in the /bin dir.

That is the way I recommend, yes. Keep the application executable and
the DLLs of dependent libraries in the same "bin" folder of the
run-time folder structure.

3. Is copying the .DLL dependencies to the system (\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
directory appropriate for the deployment of GTK+ applications on Win32?
I know it "works", but is that the standard convention?

No. It is definitely not standard and correct these days. It used to
be many years ago.

--tml