GtkFileChooser initial dir

Hi,
    could you point me to some useful documentation or suggest me
something about:

1. storing and retrieving the initial opening/saving directory for a
GtkFileChooser; in the past I relied on the windows registry, but I'd
like to do something more GTK styled (a configuration file?)
2. retrieving the shortcuts names for "places"; I tried this way (and
another that I don't recall) but it didn't work:

        dialog = gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new(title, parent, action,
                                                                        GTK_STOCK_OK, GTK_RESPONSE_ACCEPT,
                                                                        GTK_STOCK_CANCEL, GTK_RESPONSE_REJECT,
                                                                        NULL);

        GSList* shortcut_folders = gtk_file_chooser_list_shortcut_folders
(GTK_FILE_CHOOSER(dialog));
        GSList* rover = shortcut_folders;
        while(rover) {
                  gchar *temp = (gchar *) rover->data;

                  // I'd like to strcmp with a known "Place" shortcut but
                  // temp is NULL here

                  g_free (temp);
                  rover = rover->next;
        }

3. is it possible to change a "volume" shortcut label, or avoid its
translation? For example Desktop is translated (in Italian, in my case)
but many dummy users are lost if they see "Scrivania" instead of
"Desktop"
Thanks a lot

Federico

Tiscali Voce 8 Mega (Telefono+Adsl). Attiva entro il 22/11/07: chiami in tutta Italia e navighi SENZA LIMITI
A SOLI 4,95â AL MESE FINO AL 31/03/2008!
Dal 1Â aprile 2008 paghi 28,95 â al mese.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/telefono-adsl/prodotti/tc/voce8mega/