event for window maximize

hi,

maybe here is someone, who could help me:

my application contains a widget with a drawable, that has to be redrawn in a
differet size when the application window is resized.
when I resize the window this works perfectly; I did this by connecting a
callback that does the necessary stuff to the "configure-event" signal.

but when I press the maximize button this won't work.
the gtk reference says to connect to the "window_state_event" signal.
when I do this, my callback function will be executed, but BEFORE the window
has its new size, so I can't calculate the right values.
I tried to use g_connect_after instead of g-connect, but when I do this,
nothing happens.

any hints?