RE: FW: compiling gtk-engines under mingw

It was a fairly long process to get it to work, namely debugging the outputs
of the 'configure' script and the 'make' command to make sure I had
everything in order.

While going through the process, the biggest problem was making sure I had
all the right utilities in place so that the 'configure' script works
properly.  Debugging basically involved browsing through the 'config.log'
file to see where the mistakes were.  A few stumbling blocks for me were:

1) X11 Parser not found (I ended up installing perl from ActiveState to get
that to work)
2) I believe I was also missing the 'gettext' program.
3) Other important utilities like 'ar' need to be present on your system -
they're typically found under 'binutils' on the mingw download site.

And lastly, the 'dlltool' which I already mentioned was tough to debug
because it involved my learning how libtool works plus the warning messages
weren't too meaningful.

I'm sure different people are going to have different stumbling blocks
depending on how each person set up their system.  But, the bottom line I
suppose, is that it can be made to work under windows if you start compiling
from the gtk-engines source code.  Dan had given me hope when he said it
worked for him, so I ploughed through it till it finally worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Karl