From: tlillqvist gmail com [mailto:tlillqvist gmail com] On Behalf Of Tor
Lillqvist
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 1251 PM
To: Karl Reis
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: FW: compiling gtk-engines under mingw

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library
[blabla]

(... ditto for all the other missing libraries... )

So, in short, I'm not sure why libtool is not creating the appropriate
DLLs
or what exactly it is looking for.

I can't say either. I know I have occasionally been banging my head
against the keyboard in similar situations...

Typically I have had to insert a "set -x" command in the libtool
script and tediously go through the produced trace and try to
understand what it tries to do, and why it goes wrong...

Luckily I haven't had those problems in a while now... I had forgotten
how hard fighting with libtool can be...

Some random stuff that comes to mind that might cause problems like these:

- There might be something fundamental wrong in the way libtool checks
if a file is an archive. For instance, the "file" command it uses
might be somehow broken and not print out a string that libtool
recognizes as indicating an archive. Or actually I think that if
libtool properly configures itself in a MSYS/mingw environment it
should use "objdump" to recognize libraries...

- The ltmain.sh included in the source tarball you are building from
is from an old version of libtool that didn't support building DLLs
properly. To get around this I guess you need to install a good
libtool version and run the libtoolize command.

The last comment about "dlopen" is also quite confusing to me.

Yes. It might be just a misleading warning/information text that
nobody has noticed to change for Windows. Or it might be a sign that
the libtool version used indeed is broken on Windows.

--tml