XtVaSetValues equivalent for Gtk/Gdk/Glib

I'm using the Motif Window Manager and am constructing
my GUI windows using Gtk-2.0.  I need to add some
custom menu items to the windows and can do this by
modifying the ".mwmrc" file.  However, I need to add a
custom protocol and was wondering how to connect the
protocol to the menu item.

If I was programming in X, I could do something like
the following:

MY_PROTOCOL = XInternAtom (XtDisplay (toplevel),
"_MY_PROTOCOL", False);

MOTIF_MSGS = XInternAtom (XtDisplay (toplevel),
"_MOTIF_WM_MESSAGES", False);

XmAddProtocols (toplevel, MOTIF_MSGS, &MY_PROTOCOL,
1);
XmAddProtocolCallback (toplevel, MOTIF_MSGS,
MY_PROTOCOL, my_proto_callback, NULL);

sprintf (buf, "MyProtocol _P Ctrl<Key>P f.send_msg
%d", MY_PROTOCOL);

XtVaSetValues (toplevel, XmNmwmMenu, buf, NULL);

This allows new items to show up in the drop down
system menu and the custom protocol to be created as
well. The question I have is how can I add new items
to the Motif Window manager system menu using
Gtk/Gdk/Glib in a similar fashion?

Thanks

2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.