Fake pushing a GTK+ button

I'm pulling my hair out over something that I believe should be easy but I
cannot see it.

I have a program that has your basic set of buttons, windows, switches and
adjustables.  I have added a listener to tell me if a directory has been added
to or changed.  The printf statement works great and says, "Directory changed"
at all the right times and is silent at all the right other times.

All I wanted to do was to refresh the directory listing inside the program,
unfortunately, I don't know the data structure it uses to create the directory
tree.

Easy enough, right?  All I have to do is tell the program that the refresh
button has been clicked whenever the directory changes.

No, I don't know enough to know what to put in this post to help, but I've got
the code and I do have a decent idea how to read it, ask all the questions you
like, I'll be happy to answer.  I'm stuck.

Thank you
DanH